Monday, July 16, 2012

Pray With Me?

We had a close call with our little Ethan Bug on Saturday. We were in the pool and turned around and he was just gone. There were more than enough adults for the number of children. We were all being so careful and still he was there one moment and then just gone.

My husband said "STOP, Where's Ethan!?" and my heart was in my throat. I looked where he had been standing on the steps and I could see his little nose barely touching the top of the water. He was so still. Everything was slow motion. We got to him and lifted him out and water was pouring out of his mouth and nose. He began to cough and throw up after only one chest compression. He couldn't have been under for more than a few seconds. We were at the home of a pediatrician and he was able to check Ethan out and make sure that his lungs were clear.

Ethan is perfectly fine. He was given back to us. He was solemn and a bit ashen for the remainder of the day Saturday, but he stayed in the pool with John and wore a life vest. He even got back in later and played with the other children. I am so proud of him. He was a little trooper.

This scripture came blaring to my mind in that moment:
Deuteronomy 32:39
‘ See now that I, I am He, And there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life. I have wounded and it is I who heal, And there is no one who can deliver from My hand.

We never know how much time we have left with those that we love.  I know that it's a bit cliche to say "seize the day" or "live life to the fullest" or "say what needs to be said". What I want to say is this, teach the children about our God and Savior so that in those moments of crisis they are calling upon the name of the one who is ACTUALLY in control. So that in the moments of danger they are calling upon the name of the creator of Heaven and Earth, the one and only God who embodies power and strength and controls life and death.

That night I had trouble sleeping because I couldn't get Ethan's little face out of my mind. I sat up praying silently. My family will all tell you that my silent prayers almost always turn to poems and unless I write them down sleep rarely comes. I thought I'd share my prayer with you. 

Dearest Father
I fall at your feet
I am humbled
And again we meet

Every Day Lord
Blessings seem to flow
Just like water
It is all I know

You amaze me
With your wondrous pow’r
With your wisdom
In my darkest hour

Your pow’r to give Lord
And to take away
Held my baby in your lap and gave him back today

What a task Lord
That you hand to me
Teach these little hearts to praise you, teach their eyes to see

I have faith Lord
I have faith in you
That the strength you see in me somehow must be true

Lord, I need you
To guide my weary feet
Touch my soul and fill my heart with you in every beat

Thank you Father
For each second chance
For Love that makes the walk of life a victory dance.

By Nettie

Thank you all for praying with me. Love to you.
Nettie

No comments:

Post a Comment